Last week has taken place the deaf awareness week. But what is it?
The purpose of Deaf Awareness Week is to increase public awareness of deaf issues, people, and culture. Activities and events throughout Deaf Awareness Week encourage individuals to come together as a community for both educational events and celebrations.
Messages during Deaf Awareness Week include:
- Celebrate the culture, heritage, and language unique to deaf people of the world.
- Promote the rights of Deaf people throughout the world, including education for Deaf people, access to information and services, the use of sign languages, and human rights for Deaf people in developing countries.
- Recognize achievements of deaf people, including famous deaf individuals.
- Educate about the misconceptions of being deaf and the challenges the deaf population face during everyday life.
- Learn about types, degrees, and causes of hearing loss.
- Be exposed to sign language and other ways deaf and hard of hearing people communicate.
- Learn about the types of educational programs, support services, and resources that are available to the deaf and hard of hearing community, including children.
- Gain a better understanding of deaf culture.
- Understand that deaf and hard of hearing individuals are just as capable, able, and intelligent as hearing individuals. There is a difference in the way those that are deaf and hard of hearing communicate, but it is not a handicap or disability.
Action on Hearing Loss is the largest UK charity helping people who are confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss and participate to this deaf awareness week. They share on their website some factsheets and leaflets to help you on different topics : https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/supporting-you/factsheets-and-leaflets.aspx
For example this interesting communication tips card provides tips for people who have a hearing loss and are speaking to someone who is hearing on one side, and tips for people who are hearing and are speaking to someone who has a hearing loss on the other :
Comments will be approved before showing up.